Friday, October 7, 2011


And Saturn ended its slow spin
Its rings they whizzed like my mind
Something choked its turn
Something hollow, unkind

The drums, they were beating
Softly against the earth
Like my heart beats
Slower, faster, alternating from birth

Sickeningly sweet, this sudden sunshine
Blinding me and everyone around
Speaking its loud words as though
There cannot be any other sound

Sparks of love, they burst from me
But sparks of hate, they soar and fly
They reach the curve of Saturn
As I watch the rings spin in my mind’s eye

When that world up there can be so plain
From this distance of light
Why can’t I go closer and explain
What it should be, and what it instead might.

There are voices floating above the clouds
I’ve heard them in my waking dreams
There are colours that mix and swirl
I’ve seen them but to touch them I never seem.

I can say these things to everyone
But they still won’t know me well
They will never know the truth
The gorge that inside swells.

It might be easy to circumvent
This path of dark loneliness
But that world up there, it gives me peace
When it promises its yellow bliss.

Speak of what is, speak of what is not
But don’t tell me what you really think
Because I’ll steal it away from you
I’ll make it wreak, I’ll push you to the brink.

I’ll push you so far, you’ll balance on those rings
Those spinning circles of firedust
I’ll dangle you from the edge
Until  you break the murderous lust.

It might consume you, it might eat me up
It will fill you like ants in a corpse
Its dread is its eternal poison
Because it rises from floods, and leaves only drops.

1 comment: